Adapted from Betty Crocker’s Cookbook
New and Revised Edition, Seventh Printing 1982
- 4 cups sliced tart apples (about 4 medium)*
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour**
- 1/2 cup oats
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
Heat oven to 375°. Arrange apples in a greased square pan, 8x8x2 inches. Mix remaining ingredients; sprinkle over apples.
Bake until topping is golden brown and apples are tender, about 30 minutes. Serve warm and, if desired with cream or ice cream.
*I used Yakima Gala Apples for this crisp but the best ones to use in my opinion are Granny Smith for their tart flavour.
** Self-rising flour can be used in this recipe.
Here is a collage of how I put this all together, Enjoy!
1. Gala apples, 2. sliced and ready to be arranged, 3. Arranged in baking dish, 4. Dry ingredients for
crumble, 5. with butter added to make the crumble.
…and voila! The finished product…